Friday, July 30, 2010

Dealing with Pain

I had to get cortisone shots in my ankle today to try to deal with the pain and stay mobile.  Having some problems though, it's crystalized and I'm having a lot of pain. 

My doctor has a resident with her and today the resident was trying to give the shot.  First the lidocaine and then the cortisone shots, the first one didn't work, the second one went into the bone and the third one was put in by my doctor in an area without any freezing.... not that the freezing worked for the first two as much as I would have hoped... but holy cow did that hurt.  When my doctor left the room to get a larger bandage, the resident confessed that it was the first time she had tried that.  I understand, I really do.  She is such a sweetheart, I'm glad she had the opportunity to learn and practice, but I'm really glad my doctor took over and finished the shot.  I had 5 injections all together  and I have to stay off of my feet for 48 hours and then it's only light activity for 2 weeks.   I was surprised I was in so much pain right from the start, could barely walk back to the car.  I suffer from cortisone flares where the cortisone crystalizes and it is ridiculously painful.   My doctor gave me a prescription for pain med, which I'm not fond of but I'm sure glad that I have them.  I'm on crutches and I may need a wheelchair for a week or so until it settles back down.  Ugh. 

Now my other problem is that I'm hungry, I didn't eat my full meals today because of work and that I was training someone this morning and didn't get my usual lunchbreak, a light dinner (because I was writhing in pain)... and now it's 11:41pm and I could go for a pizza with extra cheese.  Pitiful, eh?  Oh well... too late at night to eat, will have to wait until tomorrow.

This really truly is a pain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment