Monday, August 2, 2010

Hey I've Got a Good Idea!

I find my biggest problem seems to be stress or pain. I find comfort in food and have used that to self-medicate my troubles away. I'm working on developing better habits and am learning to stop myself from eating while I'm upset or in pain.  I developed a game plan for myself that has been helping. 

When I go to reach for food that isn't on my daily plan or isn't at the right time of day, I make sure I double check how I'm feeling. My way of thinking is that if you saw a friend or family member doing something that might not be good for them, you would double check and ask if they are ok, right? Why can't we care about ourselves like that? Take a moment before ordering that cheeseburger and fries or having a chocolate bar, I am training myself to think it through... what's triggering this?  Did I drink water today? What's my pain level at? Am I upset, stressed, tired, bored or lonely? Am I truly hungry? Will a healthy snack do? If I still want the food that isn't a part of my food plan, I make myself wait about 20 minutes and I am usually able to postpone my craving and I put it "on the list" for a treat meal on the weekend. 

I've heard a lot of pepole say then have a "cheat meal" on the weekend, but I hate the way that sounds, it makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong... what a load of nonsense.  I prefer to think of it as a "treat meal" where I can completely enjoy my treat, I don't have to feel bad about having a meal that I love.  I will often choose two items for the weekend that I wouldn't normally have as a part of my regular food plan. I try not to have my two treats in the same meal so that I can keep my calories reasonable.  My main rule is that no binging is allowed.  I plan to really enjoy my treat.  This is not a binge or a cheat... those leave you feeling bad about yourself and take any of the enjoyment of the food.  If I'm selecting two treats, I will make sure that one isn't as calorie packed as the other to try and give some balance there. 

During the week, in my moments of cravings, I jot down food that I would love to have.  On the weekend I see no problem in selecting my favorite treat and incorporating this into my normal eating plan.  I will have my pulled pork sandwich with salad instead of fries.  If fries are my treat choice I would have them  as a "stand alone" treat where they are the main focus and I can enjoy each and every fry.  I like to make my main food craving my "treat focus" with or as my meal.   I allow myself to enjoy it, I allow myself to feel good about having the strength to be in control of my food choices.   I think of this as my win/win approach to food.  It's one day at a time, one meal at a time.  I stop once I am full (goes back to the "no binge" rule) and I never feel guilty.   This is my way to maintain control of my weekly food cravings and enjoying some of my favorite things... hey, it's got me to a 28 lb weight loss so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment