Thursday, August 5, 2010

My Sleeves are Getting Longer

Weird right?  

Now I'm the first to admit that I have a long way to go on my weight loss journey.  I've lost 30 pounds since my heaviest weight (22 since July 1st) and no one has noticed, except my husband - although who knows, he may just be playing along to keep the peace, smart man that he is.

I told a co-worker of my weight loss and she said she could really see it in my face... it reminds me of John Pinette's comedy routine where he lost 100 lbs and they told him the same thing.  He asks "How big was my head?  Was it the size of a manhole cover or something?"  I guess people are trying to be supportive when they say things like that.  

Oh well, nonetheless... while others may not be able to tell the progress that I am making, I'm really starting to see a change.   I am sleeping with only 2 pillows in the bed, like a normal person, I don't need to be propped up anymore.  I'm not getting heartburn and waking up in the middle of the night having to take Zantac or Pepto for relief.  I'm wearing a smaller pant size (already) and they are starting to feel loose too.   I was really surprised when  I put on a favorite nightshirt last night and noticed  that the sleeves are getting longer??  What the heck?   The sleeves are getting longer?  Weird right?  Sleeves don't get longer...  and then I realized... the sleeves aren't getting longer, I'm getting smaller!!  I had a couple of quiet, private tears as I chuckled to myself.  What a silly thing to cry about. 

Laughter through tears is one of my favorite emotions... my sleeves are longer!  I am still smiling.  

Lesson:  Enjoy the small changes.  
If we wait for the big ones such as people noticing or making a fuss, we may be waiting a long, long time.   If we rely on others to make us feel good, we may be sorely disappointed as they don't always know the kind of feedback that is helpful to us.  We need to find our positive self and the motivation inside ourselves.   Find the little joys, stay positive and keep your sense of humour. 

Check out John Pinette's video, he's wonderful... 

No comments:

Post a Comment